OverviewThe WPU Biology Department is a hub of activity and discovery where students explore the broad and exciting world of the biological sciences. Two degree tracks and opportunities to gain valuable research and teaching experience lead to a wide range of post-graduate and career options.
As a Biology major at Peace, you will enjoy small class sizes with experienced faculty members who take a stake in your future. Through involving lab opportunities, you’ll step out of the classroom and truly experience the field. The Bachelor of Science track is a focused degree emphasizing math, chemistry and physics and is an avenue for careers in dental, medical, and veterinary fields, as well as graduate studies in these and other areas. The Bachelor of Arts track is a flexible degree that allows students to pursue their science studies along with electives to prepare them for careers in nursing, health administration, medical technology, pharmaceutical sales, crime investigation, museum education and more.
The courses listed below are for the Academic Catalog and are subject to change. Please reference the Academic Catalog for further information and course descriptions. If you are a current student, please reference the catalog in which you come under.
Please note, there are two tracks for Biology. First listed is the Bachelor of Science and following is for the Bachelor of Arts.
Bachelor of Science in Biology
Bachelor of Arts in Biology
The biology major provides undergraduate preparation for a wide variety of careers such as medical, dental, pharmacy, veterinary, medical technology and teaching.
Biology majors learn to solve problems, work in teams and develop research and analytical skills. Graduates go on to careers in areas such as biotechnology, medical laboratory research, pharmaceutical sales, diet and nutrition and forensics.
Recent Internships Include:
- North Carolina Department of Natural Resources
- North Carolina Bureau of Investigation
- North Carolina Museum of Natural Sciences
- North Carolina State Laboratory of Public Health
- Duke University Medical Center
- Seymour Johnson AFB United States Department of Agriculture (USDA)
- United States Coast Guard
- Davidson Animal Hospital, NC
- Genetics Conservation Lab, NC
- Pediatric Therapy Associates, NC
Recent employment of biology majors:
- Scientist, GlaxoSmith Kline, Research Triangle Park, North Carolina
- Special Agent-Forensic Biology, North Carolina State Bureau of Investigation
- Research Assistant, Pamlico County Health Department
- Medical Laboratory Technologist, Vanderbilt University Medical Center
- Quality Specialist, Hospira Pharmaceuticals
- Environmental Technician, North Carolina Department of Environment and Natural Resources
- Lab Analyst, Environment 1, Inc., NC
- Molecular Technologist I, Duke Health Systems
- IPT QA Coordinator, Merck Pharmaceuticals
- Associate Research Scientist, Grifols, Inc., NC
Recent graduate school acceptances:
- Duke University School of Nursing
- East Carolina University School of Medicine
- Campbell University School of Pharmacy
- The University of North Carolina at Chapel Hill, Physical Therapy, School of Dentistry
- Auburn University School of Veterinary Sciences
- Methodist University Physician’s Assistant Program
- New York College of Podiatric Medicine