Meet Ryan Killilea, Admissions Recruiter
“One of the best parts of my job is getting to know people from all walks of life.”
The only thing that surpasses Ryan’s love for higher education is his passion for helping future students thrive at WPU. Ryan’s background and experience provide invaluable insight as how to best position students for success academically and beyond.
- Hometown: I am from the Boston suburb, Newton, Massachusetts
- Education: I attended the University of Lynchburg for both my undergraduate and graduate degrees. My graduate degree is a Masters in Education with a focus on Higher Education.
- What do you love/enjoy about being an admissions counselor at WPU? I truly love the people I get to be around. Whether it is my coworkers throughout the University, the students that work with us, or any of the visitors — the people are the best thing.
- What is the best part of your role/job? One of the best parts of my job is getting to know people from all walks of life. It is especially rewarding when I’m able to offer encouragement or advice that helps a future student in his or her quest for success.
- Outside of work: My favorite thing to do outside of work is spending time with my wife and family, my friends — and my big-hearted (terrified) dog named Sammy. I also love sports which makes this time of social distancing a little bit tough. I love playing sports, watching sports, reading about sports … all of that. I am a fan of many different sports as well, with my favorites being the Boston sports teams. When I’m not wrapped up in a game, I enjoy reading science fiction.
- Something fun or interesting about you: I am well known for finishing off other people’s meals. Yes, even at work functions.
- Favorite quote: “Do. Or do not. There is no try.” ~ Yoda
- Favorite book or movie: Favorite book is Killer Angels by Michael Shaara. My favorite movie is a tie between “Hoosiers” and “Rudy.”
- Favorite vacation destination: All-inclusive resort in the Caribbean. I only went once, but it was nice to be able to try so many different types of foods.
- What is your favorite location on WPU campus? Why? Hermann Athletic Center because of my love for sports.