Hrvoje “Harry” Lusic was born in Ljubljana, Slovenia. He attended college in the United States, as an undergraduate, on a swimming scholarship. Hrvoje then enrolled at a Ph.D. program at North Carolina State University and completed his studies in 2009. He subsequently worked as a research fellow at Boston University and Harvard Medical School. His research interests are in the field of medicinal and bio-organic chemistry. Hrvoje joined the faculty at WPU in 2018.
- Ph.D. Chemistry, North Carolina State University
- MS Polymer Chemistry, Wright State University
- BS Chemistry, Wright State University
Research & Publications
- Rietz, A.; Li, H.; Quist, K.; Cherry, J.; Lorson, C.; Burnett, B.; Kern, N.; Calder, A.; Fritsche, M.; Lusic, H.; Boaler, P.; Choi, S.; Xing, X.; Glicksman, M.; Cuny, G.; Androphy, E.; Hodgetts, K. “Discovery of a Small Molecule Probe that Post-translationally Stabilizes the Survival Motor Neuron Protein for the Treatment of Spinal Muscular Atrophy,” J. Med. Chem. (2017), 60, 4594-4610.
- Stewart, R. C.; Patwa, A. N.; Lusic, H.; Freedman, J. D.; Wathier, M.; Snyder, B. D.; Guermazi, A.; Grinstaff, M. W. “Synthesis and Pre-clinical Characterization of a Cationic Iodinated Imaging Contrast Agent (CA4+) and Its Use for Quantitative Computed Tomography of Ex Vivo Human Hip Cartilage,” J. Med. Chem. (2017), 60, 5543-5555.
- Hersey, J. S.; LaManna, C. M.; Lusic, H.; Grinstaff, M. W. “Stimuli responsive charge-switchable lipids: Capture and release of nucleic acids,” Chem. Phys. Lipids (2016), 196, 52-60.
- Lusic, H.; Freedman, J.; Grinstaff, M. W. “dGEMRIC+: A New Cationic Contrast Agent for Delayed Gadolinium Enhanced Magnetic Resonance Imaging of Cartilage,” Chem. Commun. 2015, 51, 11166-11169.
- Freedman, J.; Lusic, H.; Snyder, B. D.; Grinstaff, M. W. “Tantalum Oxide Nanoparticles for the Imaging of Articular Cartilage Using X-ray Computed Tomography: Visualization of ex vivo/in vivo Murine Tibia and ex vivo Human Index Finger Cartilage,” Angew. Chem. Int. Edit. 2014, 53, 8406-8410.
- Govan, J. M; Uprety, R.; Thomas, M.; Lusic, H.; Lively, M. O; Deiters, A. “Cellular Delivery and Photochemical Activation of Antisense Agents Through a Nucleobase Caging Strategy,” ACS Chem. Biol. 2013, 8, 2272-2282.
- Govan, J. M; Young, D. D; Lusic, H.; Liu, Q.; Lively, M. O; Deiters, A. “Optochemical Control of RNA Interference in Mammalian Cells,” Nucl. Acids Res. 2013, 41, 10518-10528.
- Lusic, H.; Grinstaff, M. W. “X-Ray Computed Tomography Contrast Agents,” Chem. Rev. 2013, 113, 1641-1666.
- Stewart, R. C.; Bansal, P. N.; Lusic, H.; Entezari, V.; Snyder, B. D.; Grinstaff, M. W. “Contrast-enhanced CT with a High-Affinity Cationic Contrast Agent for Imaging ex Vivo Bovine, Intact ex Vivo Rabbit, and in Vivo Rabbit Cartilage,” Radiology 2013, 266, 141-150.