Welcome to William Peace University!
Due to the unprecedented circumstances surrounding COVID-19, WPU modified our in-person New Student Orientation sessions to a virtual format. We remain focused on the success of all students as they transition to campus and join our community.
Moving to a virtual orientation prioritizes your health and safety while also providing the opportunity to learn, engage, and prepare you to transition into Peace. Current WPU students, faculty, and staff provide a welcoming environment to assist you even throughout these challenging times.
WPU’s virtual New Student Orientation is for incoming students and family members. This virtual event will take place on Tuesday, January 19, 2021 from 9 a.m. to 12:30 p.m. We will work diligently to ensure the best and most informative opportunities for new Pacers! #BelieveInPeace #PrepareAtPeace
New Student Orientation: Tuesday, January 19, 2021 from 9 a.m. to 12:30 p.m.
Frequently Asked Questions
- Overall Program & Logistics
1. What is New Student Orientation (NSO)?
- New Student Orientation is the umbrella program for both Transfer Orientation and First Year Orientation to welcome new students to William Peace University. Although this program will cover topics for both first year and transfer students, all of our incoming Pacers will learn about vital resources to prepare them for their time at WPU.
2. What is the format of New Student Orientation?
- The format of virtual NSO will be utilizing the student learning management system, Moodle, to complete modules on campus resources. Students and families will have access to resources that include videos, website links, digital office pamphlets, etc. There will also be Zoom sessions to speak with different offices in a live format that includes Q&A.
3. How do I access Moodle?
- Students will be emailed a link to access the Moodle site. They will then be prompted to enter their WPU login credentials. If there are any issues, please email firstname.lastname@example.org.
4. When will Orientation modules be available on Moodle and when must they be complete?
- New Pacers and their Families will receive an email prior to Orientation notifying them that the orientation modules are available. We highly encourage students to complete the modules prior to the day of orientation to maximize their full orientation experience.
5. Why is Orientation still being held on specific dates?
- Although orientation will take place virtually, students are being asked to sign up for specific dates to facilitate community building, and provide real-time resources to new Pacers and their families. Our goal is to ensure student success for all new Pacers.
6. Is Orientation mandatory? Do I have to attend the entire event?
- Yes, you are required to attend this event as a new student at William Peace University. It is very important that you participate to ensure you receive and understand all necessary information regarding your classes, housing, campus resources, and services available.
7. I am an athlete. Is there a different orientation for me?
- All new Pacers who plan to play in Pacer Athletics MUST attend Orientation. There may be some specific sessions during the event geared toward athletes, however you are required to attend the entire orientation alongside all new Pacers.
8. I have registered for Orientation, now what?
- You are all set and we can’t wait to virtually meet you! One week prior to Orientation, you will receive specific information about your sessions, how to log in, and any materials you will need to participate. This information will be sent to both your personal and WPU email.
- Registration Questions
1. How do I register?
- You should have received an email from the Office of Admissions with registration information. Please follow that link to register for the event. You will use the login you created to apply to the University to register for orientation.
2. My login to register will not work. What do I do?
- You should use the login you created to apply to the University for this registration. Do not use your WPU login you received from the Office of Information Technology. If you run into further issues, please email the Office of Admissions at email@example.com.
3. I registered already but I need to switch my date or make a change. Can I do that?
- There is only one date for New Student Orientation (January 19th from 9 a.m. to 12:30 p.m.). If you cannot attend this date, please email the Office of Admissions at firstname.lastname@example.org..
- Family and Guest Information
1. Can I invite a family member or guest to join me during this event? Do they have to pre-register?
- Yes! We welcome family members or guests to join you for New Student Orientation. We encourage your family members and guests to participate in the virtual event with you throughout the day. Parents and Guests do not need to register separately for the January session, they can utilize the virtual event link provided with your registration.
2. How do family members and guests access the Moodle site?
- Family members can utilize the link and instructions provided to their student to access the Moodle site.
- Orientation Leaders
1. What are Orientation Leaders?
- Orientation Leaders are your guide, resource and mentor as you begin your William Peace University experience. They will lead the small group you are assigned. Orientation Leaders are current William Peace University students who are involved academically, through registered student organizations, Pacer Athletics and much more. They were specifically selected during a rigorous application and interview process to serve you, the new student and family member. They will be able to answer many of the questions you have about what it is like to be a student or how families can best support their new Pacer.
2. How will Orientation Leaders build Virtual Community?
- Orientation Leaders will build community through holding virtual small group sessions, utilizing the @wpustudentlife instagram account, the GroupMe app and more!
3. How are small groups assigned?
- Small groups are assigned mostly randomly, however we work to ensure there are a variety of students in each small group from various majors and hometowns too! Your small group is a lot of fun and your first chance to really bond with your incoming class. Siblings or family members will not be in the same small group.
4. Do families and guests have small groups?
- No, but you do not miss out on the access to an Orientation Leader. There will be orientation leaders with you during your program to help you along the way.
- Additional Questions
I still have more questions. What do I do?
- No worries! Email email@example.com and a member of our staff will work to respond as soon as possible.
Explore Student Activities at William Peace University
New Student Orientation
Our orientation events are an opportunity to learn about William Peace University and what it means to be a Pacer. You will be introduced to all the support services, activities, resources specific to student success and meet other Pacers! At WPU, our tight-knit community is welcoming and fosters an environment where you are not just a number. Your someday starts today!
First Year Success Series
The First Year Success Series is a programmatic effort designed to enrich the First Year Experience at William Peace University. The series is a campus-wide, collaborative effort which provides first year students the resources and support they need to successfully transfer to college life and becoming a Pacer.
Through this series, the first year students will learn and develop the necessary skills to help them be successful in their academic and personal life. By teaching and promoting community and healthy habits, our hope is to provide all first-year students with a socially supportive environment which will enable them to meet new people, immerse themselves in the WPU culture and enjoy career and academic success.
Quick Facts on FYSS
The majority of 2019-2020 FYSS attendees attended between 4-6 events.
83% of first year students agreed that FYSS was helpful to their college transition and a good use of their time.
95% of first year students agreed that FYSS helped them develop a sense of belonging at WPU.
“The FYS series helped me get more involved in school and meet new people. They were informative and fun. I liked that they had events that were about managing time and school work and also about healthy living. I am thankful that they exist because they helped me with planning my first semester of college.”
Brian Martinez, Class of 2023
“I enjoyed the Inside Scoop with Public Safety, Multicultural Feast, and Mindfulness Workshop. They were very informative and gave me insights on some topics that are not covered otherwise. The events were fun and fast activities and it was great that in the majority of them students got a chance to win some prizes. I love that these events are offered every now and then and there is a healthy competition for FYS with them.”
Makayla Cook, Class of 2023
“My daughter loves, loves, loves WPU! Welcome new families!”
Karen Austin Thomas, Pacer Parent