Welcome to William Peace University!
Due to the unprecedented circumstances surrounding COVID-19, WPU will move our in-person First Year Orientation sessions to a virtual format. We remain focused on your success as you transition to campus and join our community.
Moving to a virtual orientation prioritizes your health and safety while also providing the opportunity to learn, engage, and prepare you to transition into Peace. Current WPU students, faculty, and staff will welcome you and to assist you even throughout these challenging times.
WPU’s virtual First Year Orientation is a two-day experience for incoming students and family members. The current dates for First Year Orientation are June 19-20 and June 26-27. Students must select one of the two options to register for their FYO experience and can expect student sessions to take place on day one of each orientation from 12:00PM EST – 4:30PM EST. Family sessions will take place on day two of each orientation from 10:00AM EST – 2:00PM EST.
You can expect:
- A personalized, authentic experience offered virtually.
- A sense of belonging and community with current students, faculty, staff, future mentors, and other future Pacers.
- Answers to your important questions, including academic advising, financial aid, residence life and more.
Please reach out to us at firstname.lastname@example.org if we can answer any questions or if there are other ways we can assist you during this time. We look forward to virtually meeting you soon, and we’re excited to welcome you to Peace!
“My daughter loves, loves, loves WPU! Welcome new families!”
Karen Austin Thomas, Pacer Parent
Frequently Asked Questions for First Year Orientation
- Overall Program & Logistics
1. What is First Year Orientation (FYO)?
- First Year Orientation is your official orientation welcome to William Peace University. During this program, you will meet many fellow new Pacers, learn about on-campus housing and other vital resources, learn how to get involved on-campus, discuss financial aid and scholarship options and meet your Orientation Leader!
2. When are the orientation dates? How long is the program?
- There are two session options for First Year Orientation – June 19 – 20 and June 26 – 27, 2020. The program consists of two half days. The program begins on day one at 12:00PM EST and concludes at 4:30PM EST for students and begins on day two at 10:00AM EST and concludes at 2:30PM for families.
3. What is the format of virtual First Year Orientation? How does it differ from in-person FYO?
- The format of virtual FYO will be utilizing the student learning management system, Moodle, to complete modules on campus resources. Students and families will have access to resources that include videos, website links, digital office pamphlets, etc. There will also be Zoom sessions to speak with different offices in a live format for Q&A.
4. How do I access Moodle?
- Students will be emailed a link to access the Moodle site. They will then be prompted to enter their WPU login credentials. If there are any issues, please email email@example.com.
5. When will FYO modules be available on Moodle and when must they be complete?
- New Pacers and their Families will receive an email prior to First Year Orientation notifying them that the FYO Modules are available. Although we highly encourage students to complete the modules prior to day one of FYO to maximize their orientation experience, the modules are not due until August 14th.
6. Why is FYO still being held on specific dates?
- Although FYO will take place virtually, students are being asked to sign up for specific dates to facilitate community building, and provide real-time resources to new Pacers and their families.
7. Is this program mandatory? Do I have to attend the entire program?
- Yes, you are required to attend this program as a new student at William Peace University. It is very important that you are there so you receive all the information you need regarding your classes, housing and campus departments and services.
8. I am an athlete. Is there a different orientation for me?
- All new Pacers who plan to play in Pacer Athletics MUST attend First Year Orientation. There may be some specific sessions during the program geared toward you, however you are required to attend the entire program as directed alongside all new Pacers. When you return in the fall, there are some specific athlete programs to help you acclimate as well. Details about those will be provided by Pacer Athletics.
9. I have registered for First Year Orientation. Now what?
- You are all set and we can’t wait to virtually see you! One week prior to your program, you will receive specific information about your sessions, how to log in, and any materials you will need to participate. This information will be sent to both your personal and WPU email.
- Registration Questions
1. How do I register?
- You should have received an email from the Office of Admissions with registration information. Please follow that link to register for the program. You will use the login you created to apply to the University to register for orientation.
2. My login to register will not work. What do I do?
- You should use the login you created to apply to the University for this registration. Do not use your WPU login you received from the Office of Information Technology. If you run into further issues, please email the Office of Admissions at firstname.lastname@example.org.
3. I registered already but I need to switch my date or make a change. Can I do that?
- Yes, if space allows. To request a change, email the Office of Admissions at email@example.com.
4. I have dietary restrictions and/or food allergies that need to be communicated with WPU for my time as a Pacer. How do I share that information with you?
- During the registration process, you are provided space to indicate any special dietary needs. We will make every best effort to connect you with our dining services team and if we have questions, will contact you directly.
5. How can I request accommodations?
- During the registration process, you are provided space to indicate any accommodations you may need including but not limited to: access to, interpreter, alternate versions of materials, closed captioning, etc. You will also be able to indicate these needs for the family or guests you register. If you need to make an adjustment to your registration, please email the Office of Admissions at firstname.lastname@example.org.
- Family and Guest Information
1. Can I invite a family member or guest to join me during the program? Do they have to pre-register?
- Yes! We welcome family members or guests to join you for the program. However, please note the specific Family and Guest Orientation program will take place on day two of First Year Orientation from 10:00AM – 2:00PM. All family members and guests must pre-register and we recommend no more than four guests attend the parent and family program. You should provide their information at the time of your registration. If you did not provide this and need to get them registered, please contact the Office of Admissions at email@example.com.
2. How do family members and guests access the Moodle site?
- Family members will receive an email which includes a link and instructions to access the Family and Guest Moodle site.
- Orientation Leaders
1. What are Orientation Leaders?
- Orientation Leaders are your guide, resource and mentor as you begin your William Peace University experience. They will lead the small group you are assigned. Orientation Leaders are current William Peace University students who are involved academically, through registered student organizations, Pacer Athletics and much more. They were specifically selected during a rigorous application and interview process to serve you, the new student and family member. They will be able to answer many of the questions you have about what it is like to be a student or how families can best support their new Pacer.
2. How will Orientation Leaders build Virtual Community?
- Orientation Leaders will build community through holding virtual small group sessions, utilizing the @wpustudentlife instagram account, the GroupMe app and more!
3. How are small groups assigned?
- Small groups are assigned mostly randomly, however we work to ensure there are a variety of students in each small group from various majors and hometowns too! Your small group is a lot of fun and your first chance to really bond with your incoming class. Siblings or family members will not be in the same small group.
4. Do families and guests have small groups?
- No, but you do not miss out on the access to an Orientation Leader. There will be orientation leaders with you during your program to help you along the way.
- Additional Questions
I still have more questions. What do I do?
- No worries! Email firstname.lastname@example.org and a member of our staff will work to respond as soon as possible.